Roaming planet

I took shape in the universe, and alighted here, on blue planet.
Have I been diverted by some misfortune, fooled by some illusion?
For in rest or in exaltation, emerge
other images, other feelings, other spaces, other impulses,
which bring to me the fugitive and moved perfumes of a remembered elsewhere.

I am seated astride here and elsewhere.
Everything here is stranger to me than elsewhere.
Here is submerged by clamours and amazements;
elsewhere is irrigated by friendship, scintillates from enthusiasm,
is shrouded in silence, and is patient ad infinitum.

Elsewhere and here are meeting in an intimate and secret haven.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A quatrain at random

Three days ago, as I had started again to read the Quatrains of Omar Khayyam, in the beautiful translation of Charles Grolleau (from a translation by Edward Heron-Allen), it occured to me suddenly to open the book at random, asking it seriously to offer me a message as a gift. And I came across the 77th quatrain:

Drink wine, that will banish thy abundant woes,
and will banish thought of the Seventy-two Sects;
avoid not the alchemist, for, from him,
thou takest one draught, and he banishes a thousand calamities.

That quatrain, I understand it so:

“Enjoy your living, remember that you are happy now, and henceforth everyday. Towards religion, you are now in harmony with yourself, having reached an attitude suitable to you; what you had to learn belongs to you now, and it is time for you to move to the next subject. Move towards joy!”.

No comments: